Vishwakarma is an Engineer God . According to mythology it is he who created the entire universe as well as the heaven and the earth. Vishwakarma is also credited for creating the missiles used in the mythological era, including the Vajra the sacred weapon of Lord Indra. Viswakarma Puja is celebrated annually on September 17 especially in the state of West Bengal.. the date is fixed because it is calculated as per the solar calendar & not the lunar calendar.
Since I grew up in a factory compound, this Puja has always been of significance to me. Even in Bhutan, the labour used to get a huge Idol, have a grand lunch & dance on popular music.
Since my husband has a small factory, the celebrations continued post marriage. So, the morning started today with preparations of Puja . Since the preparations had just started & I did not have the luxury the wait, I had to leave without participating in the Puja.
At my office, this year for the first time we brought the idol & the IT department did the Puja with great fervour.It was basically to bless the servers & the IT equipments. So it's been a festive mood the whole day today with tasty prasad of cut fruit which we girls prepared in the morning & a Biryani lunch. The Pandit was an issue coz the one who was called did not turn up. So a person literally stood on the road & caught a young Pandit .No, this is not unusual since it's the Puja Day here. He did perform the Puja well though.
The Shankh blowing was tried by officers & huge applause flowed for the ones who successfully blew it.
On the request of the Puja organisers in office, I wore a sari today. It's been surprisingly easy to wear it to office. I do wear Saree often to parties but being in a Saree the whole day is a first. The pinned up Pallu is another first.I was unable to even pin up properly at home & a colleague of mine who is a regular saree wearer in office taught me to do it the right way .

7 comments:
Vishwakarma Puja has only been a date in the calendar for me, like any other. But you just made it sound so relevant.
@d- if u were in Bengal, you would never be utouched by it. :)
as D said its just another day in the calendar for u but then I am far from home in blore.... but u know me confused i though Vishkarma day comes near to diwali.... i day or two after that
and here in south the tools pooja ect happens on dashera... they call it the aaiydh pooja
BTW u look pretty in a saree :)
@monika- Maybe there are diff dates for celebrations in diff states. In the Eastern part 17th sept is fixed.
& thansk for the compliment. I like wearing sarees. :)
Oh! Never knew; thanks for the post :)
@Swaram- My pleasure:)
Post a Comment