I am a God fearing person. I have my own way of connecting with the almighty. However, there are some aspects of religion/traditions I feel very strongly about that I see being followed around me. I hope this post does not hurt anyone's sentiments.
I cannot fathom how one can have a Pundit do the Puja of your House-Gods. I find it weird & absolutely unacceptable that as the family members go about doing their daily chores of cooking, watching TV etc, the Pujari comes quietly , does Puja in your house mandir , takes his monthly fee & goes away. What purpose does it solve?Isn't worship something that builds up your faith & gives you peace of mind. I see how my husband's day is never complete till he visits this particular temple to pay his respects. I am glad he has found a place which gives him solace in his life's struggles. That's the way faith is supposed to heal. Its' not something that you can pay someone else to do. Might as well not do it. Who forces you to?
When you have your periods, you cannot enter the kitchen or touch anything cooked-pickles, papads etc. Forget touching, even if a girl who is having periods looks at the papads drying in the sun, they get bad. So much so that your maid is also not allowed to enter the kitchen or wash utensils when she is having her periods. Supposedly, the girl becomes a devil when she is in periods. In some families I've seen women eating in separate utensils, sitting away from the families, sleeping on the floors etc during this time. Can you imagine how humiliating this can be. Imagine if you have a house guest who asks for a glass of water. You simply shake your head & say that you cannot go into the kitchen. He meaningfully glances at you & says "Oh,ok". As a young teenager, I would have simply drowned in embarrassment if faced with such a situation. But there are hundreds of girls facing this every month.
Misrepresentation of the meaning of Sanskars. Sanskar are the moral rules for any person.The other meaning of sanskar is ethics. This term is used so differently in reality. So if you don't know how to pray as per the "rules", or if you don't know that you are supposed to not leave salt in your thaali after you are thorough with your meal without putting some water on it- then supposedly you have not been taught any Sanskars. Go read the meaning of "Sanskars" first, please!!
There are so many rituals one has to undertake if one is the mother of a "Boy". Yes, so there are some fasts that you keep only if you are a Boy's mother. If you have a girl child , you do not need to do it. There are some rituals & pujas which will be performed only if a Boy is born. What utter rubbish , I say!!
But I am glad things are changing. Just wish the pace of change was quicker!!
6 years ago

18 comments:
This and so much more...thanks for putting the thoughts together....Wish we could just stop all this weird traditions..which cant even be termed as traditions..I would just call them blind......!(well I dont know)...Traditions are rituals or stuff I would follow which are good for a disciplined life and teach our young ones the importance family and culture...But these are just well Blind nothings???!!!
Wow you really made write a mouthful!!!!
Sad but true :(
I just loved the first point u hv put across! Its all in faith! Even if we don't do Puja n still believe in God n say a silent prayer, he wud definitely bless us!
The periods thing - Ridiculous! People understand its purpose n still maintain that! Sitting in the corner n waiting for ppl to serve them! U know I hv even seen some families where they r nt even allowed to take bath all those days :(
Abt Sanskars - very true! Do all the bad things u want n only learn nt to leave salt n such things!!!!!!!!
N the boy n girl differences - just one word - RIDICULOUS n I feel such ppl r criminals!
@R's Mom- Yes, there is so much more. While typing this my blood was boiling & I could not continue further. I absolutely agree with your definition of traditions. That's how it should be.
@Swaram- You've commented on each aspect so rightly. Glad to be amongst like-minded people in the blogworld.
I agree with every point.
Can't understand why we need others to pray for us. Talk about outsourcing!
I wish I could educate these people that long back women were not allowed to enter temples because those days temples were considered to have strong positive vibrations. A woman's body then was not to strong to take these. Also, she was not allowed to do house work to allow her some rest during these days. All these have no meaning today, yet they're being followed!
And so many rituals a lady's got to do for her son/husband/brother...fast, don't wash hair/clothes!!! so weird.
@Meira- Exactly & also i believe there were no sanitary napkins those days,so perhaps to maintain good hygiene, women were confined.....but what is the meaning of all this in today's world?
Brillaint post Monika.Ansh! I am a god fearing person too, I feel I am more god fearing because I can never do anything my conscience does not allow me to...
A true prayer does not even need a visit to a temple, we can shut our eyes and pray from anywhere. I also find paying huge amounts in better known places of worship unfair to those who cannot afford to make such 'payments'!
The period isolation is of course the most humiliating one, I have been told this was to ensure the women get some rest or to maintain hygiene, well then why not simply say they need rest, why humiliate them? I can't imagine how I would have hated a public announcement of something so personal :(
Rituals for baby boy and special fasts also do reinforce that boys are more important or valuable than girls are, and see where it has brought us today :(
I am so glad to see other minds who object to such blind-nothings! If we all thought a little before following any rituals, we will not have so many related problems :(
Absolutely loved this post Monika!
@IHM- Coming from you this comment meant so much. I am such an avid follower of your blog & I always see my own beliefs & thoughts expressed so vividly in your posts. As I mentioned to you, your post today inspired me to write this.
A well written post. I struggle with a few of these questions and many others myself. Sometimes it depresses me and I begin to falter on my spiritual path.
And then I remember that all that matters is the equation that I share with Those Above. It's personal. It's intense. And it's all mine.
Its not only the fasts, but it seems the food you should eat also changes when a you give birth to a boy and a girl, it seems you should eat only rice if you have a boy and roti is ok if you have girl... wierd isnt it...
#1: To people who believe in the ritualistic aspect of religion, it may make sense, but for me praying is about connecting with God and there's no way I can have an intermediary like a pujari do that for me.
#2: Thankfully, I've never had to face this kind of discrimination, but I'd also heard about how pickles would rot if a girl who was having her periods touched it. So I went ahead and touched pickles while I was having my periods. And guess what? Nothing happened!!
#3: Exactly what I was saying at IHM's blog. There's a difference between practices and values.
#4: There's a fast that mothers are supposed to keep for their sons. My MIL is sweet or smart, whatever you choose, but she maintains that she doesn't fast for her sons but for her children because she also has a daughter. And it doesn't seem so bad after she's said that!
@M4-You are so right M4.
@Smita-Well that's a new one for me. These things seem never-ending.
@D- I am glad u did not face this discrimination. Before marriage I did not even know about it. Fought against it post marriage.
I find doing pujas gives me solace and helps me to be clam and relaxed. At times it feels that I am with myself. But still I would call the pandit to do the puja on special days ...
However, I agree whats the point to do it as a ritual, without believing, as a chore.
@Ajay-Of course call the Pandit but participate yourself. Don't leave the Pandit to do the Puja while u catch your fav TV show. That's my point.
oh yeah! i believe that God and rituals are two different things and i dont see any reason for me to mix them up.
i dont even pray every day and have no clue about a single ritual! for me, i have my own one on one whenever and wherever i want to.
and i have seen many "sanskari" people who do everything right as per the rituals at home but spit on road when outside! bah!
cheers!
abha
@Mama-Mia- Yes, I see no point to forcing rituals down people's throats.It solves no purpose!
Amazing! I just did a similar post:)
Do what feels right, period (bad joke, I know!) I second everything you've written VEHEMENTLY:)
@Starry Eyes- Thanks & now , I'll go back & read your post.
Post a Comment