Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sleep Issues

We've never had sleep issues with Ansh. Just the usual ones which almost every child faces sometime or the other. However, since a month or so now, Ansh is extremely scared at night when we put off the lights. He sleeps with us & likes to be in the middle. But it's never been a major issue. But now, he just freaks out when it's bed time & his dad is not around. He tells me that there is no one sleeping on the other side of him & so he is scared. I have tried asking him what is he scared of, but he never answers me. So I have to hug him tight & it's with a lot of difficulty that he goes to sleep. The fact that his dad is usually pretty late in getting back from work is not helping matters at all. Before bedtime, he makes me call up his dad & begs him to come to sleep with him . Poor Abhi. He feels really guilty but cannot help it . We have not had a reverse situation where I am not there during bedtime. So I cannot pinpoint whether he wants both of us or just his dad.
In the beginning I thought that he is just trying to act up coz he does not want to sleep. But now I am sure something is really scaring him.
I am thinking of having some of his soft toys in bed from today even though he is not attached to them. We get enough light through the curtains, so we've never used the night light. But I'll try that out too. Just thought of sharing it here so that I may get some more inputs/suggestions. There has been no change in his bedtime routine or the room in which we sleep.

10 comments:

Artnavy said...

how about some calming music to lull him to sleep- a gayatri mantra or something instrumental and repetitive if u do not want it to be religious

Monika said...

@artnavy- nice idea. will try this.

Mama - Mia said...

well no idea about this one. though art's suggesstion sounds good. and maybe even saying a little prayer before going to sleep saying God will take care of him and protect him.

hope he feels ok soon!

cheers!

abha

Monika said...

@abha- thansk for the suggestion. will try all .

Monika said...

does he have a fav blanket sort of thing... i have heard some children get attached to them and find security with it... actually my doc told me its a good idea to develop such attachments though Ojas till doesnt have any too

Monika said...

@ monika- no monika. He has never had an attachmnt with a blankie or toy .

Neera said...

IS it any better now Monika? Try increasing the distance little by little - first u r in bed with him, then tell him u r sitting a few steps away, then close to the door and finally out. Tell him the door is open and u r just a call away - however it does get a little tricky at times as they try to engage u in a conversation. But yes the fear needs to be addressed.

Monika said...

@Neera- I tried the night lmap & a bhagwanji picture under his pillow. It was surely of some help.

PG said...

That is good to hear. Give him time to get adjusted with the situation. I don't think making papa come on time to sleep with him is the solution. You have already got some wonderful suggestions. Do tell us if the situation has improved.

Monika said...

@pg- you r right. Since a few nights, a bright night lamp is really helping.