Today is Mommy's Birthday. Before I could call her up to wish her, I received her call. With the telephone signal problems in Bhutan, she assumed that I had been trying & not getting through. Truth is that I was waiting to finish up my morning chores before giving her a call. Only moms can be so accommodating. :)
Since all 3 of us kids are away, it's going to be just another day for mom & dad today. Wish we were there to make her day special for her.
My parents have an empty nest & they don't regret it a bit coz all their kids are well settled & doing well in their lives. They would have it no other way. In stark contrast I see my in-laws , especially MIL, who cannot imagine how mothers can live without their kids. When my BIL wanted to go outside the city for an MBA, she started crying days in advance. It's another story that he ultimately did not go. No, I am not pitting my mom against my MIL. It's just the difference in mentality between a service-class & business-class family. In the latter case, it is automatically assumed that the family will live together since there is a joint business. So parents become more dependent on their kids and cannot think of living alone. In a service class family, parents are mentally prepared to let the kids go where ever their jobs take them. I want to be a mother who is able to give her child wings to fly to fulfil his dreams, just like my mom did with us.
Happy Birthday Mommy. You are without a doubt my best & closest friend & my rock of support.

9 comments:
happy birthday monika's mommy! :)
have a super year ahead!!
lovely post Monika!
cheers!
abha
Kudos to her!
I think the best parents in the world are those who let their love be their children's strength and not their weakness. Just like your mom. And mine too :)
Happy Birthday to her!
happy birthday to her !!
@Mama Mia- thanks :)
@D- so true. well said.
@artnavy-thanks
Nappy Birthday auntyji! Just wanted to let you know what a wonderful, sweet-natured and loving daughter you have and I know it's all because of you and your upbringing.
Happy Birthday once again!
happy birthday to ur mom... pass my regards and wishes to her...
and very few people like are ok with an empty nest... its a difficult feeling to let go...
@M4- You are a darling. :)
@Monika- It's never OK for anyone to have an empty nest but parents have to have the strength to let go for their kid's sake.
A Very HAppy Birthday to dear aunty! Please do convey my good wishes to her Monika! She sounds like a wonderfully balanced lady!
@Neera- Thanks :) I will.
Post a Comment