Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Me, a Foodie?

I am not much of a Foodie. At home we have a cook who just makes food that is "eatable". To add to that I cannot cook at all. My MIL does cook well but I do not share the kind of relationship with her which can enable me to ask her to cook something for me. We do eat out but very rarely. Mt best treat these days is having "Cheese popcorn" at INOX & I consume that twice & am extra happy when they are generous enough to sprinkle extra cheese powder on my popcorn.
However, I go completely berserk when I go to my mom's place. Even before I reach there, I discuss the menus with mom over phone. I start drooling days in advance about the possibilities of having her home cooked meals. I do not know if mom is the best cook in the world or not, but for me she is. And the best part is that her house help, Sekhar, has been trained so perfectly now that I can hardly tell the difference. So while we roam around & spend time on outings, the meals are ready when we return home
So every morning at home, we had stuffed parathas-Aloo Paratha, Gobi Paratha, Chana Dal Paratha, Lobiya Paratha, and all with fresh malai...........yum yum.
I love her matar pulao with pyaz & tamatar chatni. I also love Daachi, the Bhutanese Dish that she makes so well now.
I love Chilly Chicken that she makes but unfortunately the threat of bird flu was still looming large there & we had to avoid chicken & eggs.
But what really takes the cake are the "Momos". The cheesy masala & the hot chutney juts makes me drool.
Ansh loves them too minus the chutney. More than eating, he loves making them with Sekhar Bhaiya.
Here is a pictorial description of how to make yummy Momos.



I need several days of healthy eating to make up for all the extra calories I consumed which is extra difficult at this time of the year.
Today was a colleague's birthday & so we went out to eat in a small Bangladeshi Restaurant called "Kasturi". It was the best Bengali food I've ever had. Besides the traditional Dal, Rice & Aalo Bhaja, I had Chingri Malai Curry, my all time favourite Bengali dish.

Here's to more eating & dieting thereafter in 2009.

10 comments:

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Oh my oh my! And just when I thought I'd start off 2009 with a diet! Your post has me salivating!

Ansh looks like quite the expert, I must say!

Monika said...

M4-lol.Oh he is. He'll make a good husband. :)

D said...

I wonder what moms add to the food they make - it's so much tastier than any other food in the world! I guess it's mom's love (?)

Monika said...

@D- Yes, so true.

Mama - Mia said...

you had me drooling woman!! and si SO LOVE momos!!!!!

soon Ansh will be making em for you guys!!

cheers!

abha

Monika said...

@Mama-Mia- I can only hope for that coz I have no patience for cooking myself :)

Monika said...

i am drooling :) and mom's food is always the best food

Monika said...

@Monika- Yes. :)

Swaram said...

I had momos when I had been to Gangtok and I loved them. My mouth's watering at the mention of so many delicacies

Monika said...

@Swaram- Yes, Gangtok is really well known for it's momos. :)