Today was a parent's meet at Ansh's school in preparation for the sports day on 18th January. Since I had a meeting scheduled in the morning, Abhi attended the meeting & he was the only dad amongst a sea of moms in the class. He felt uncomfortable & was in an irritable mood when I talked to me. I argued with him that there was nothing to feel uncomfortable about but he said that all the ladies were chit-chatting & he felt completely out of place. Of course, I would have been uncomfortable too in such a setting. Granted that most women out there must be housewives & so it was more convenient for them to attend rather than the dads. But had it been a holiday at work, I am sure the situation must have been pretty much the same.
Why is it a woman's job to take care of the kids education? Right from getting them ready for school to supervising homeworks? It's been the same for ages. I don't remember my dad ever attending my school meetings. When we were in lower classes, he was once confused about what class I studied in.
Ansh does not get any homework from school. This month we've re-started his drawing lessons with another teacher & she does give some homework. I have realised that I really suck at getting Ansh to do homework. I have no patience & end up shouting at him. I know it'll be very difficult when Ansh goes to higher classes. I have never wanted my kid to have a tutor. I hate this "tution" trend & have always wanted to teach my kids on my own. I either need some coaching myself or I have to change myself big time to cultivate the patience to sit through homeworks. I know Abhi will be of little help & he has made this very clear to me.
How do u all manage with homeworks ?
6 years ago

5 comments:
I don't know. my mom or dad just sat besides me. didnt actually tell me what to write in homework notebook back then. And just a regular question 'homework ho gaya, ab jaao khelo'...thats it.
Its just that faith they had put in then.
p.s: i was notorious then. i used to bring back my test notebook back from school(ukg/kg/1st std), bcos my fav teacher was not conducting the test. And my mom used to rush back to give it to my teacher :-)
btw i am just hopping blogs.
Ohh yes I remember the parent teacters meetings in my school were also flooded with moms and I don't remember papa accompanying mom to school. Indeed something to think abt :) And yes even I dont have patience for homeworks
@Aslam- Welcome here :). Well, st least till the kids reach class 1 , i guess supervision is important but then each child if different :)
@Swati- I am dreading the homework aspect as Ansh grows up!
Rishabi just deleted what i had written. Bohooooohooo. And apart from getting angry at him, i really don't know what to do. I would love to say that he does not get any gummy bears , but that is already done as he threw away his milk in the sink today morning and that was his punishment. Yes, he did that.
Now coming back to what i wrote:
I am in a similar situation as you, although i don't know how it will be once he gets homework.
It really demands patience to do somethig together with him, be it some craft work, baking together with him or to play a new borad game with him. It is tough.
One thing I'm working on, which might help you (thanks to the tips from his OT):
try to tell him things slowly. Expect it that he will not understand everything as you think he should. Do it step by step, give simple and clearcut instructions to him what you want and get his feedback to what he has understood - make him repeat it. It does help me a little bit. But, of course if I have the patience in that moment!
I have noticed that I am very impatient when I am under pressure of time or am not feeling well.
I think we need to make it clear to ourselves that the child does not have to be perfect. Let me how see much i'll be able to implement once he gets homeworks. :)
would love to hear the feedbacks from experienced mothers.
@pg- You said "I have noticed that I am very impatient when I am under pressure of time". I guess that's teh whole problem. We don't have enough time on our hands to take things at a leisurely pace. Guess we need to set our priorities right at times. Thanks for your suggestion on taling slowly with Ansh. Will try that out.
Post a Comment