Friday, October 10, 2008

Shubho Bijoya

We had a festive 5 days of Durga Puja here. Did all the traditional stuff & had immense fun.
Day-1 Sunday .(Shashti) Morning we visited a sick friend in hospital (Gaurav) who had a hernia operation the pevious day.On our way back we visited our first Pandal of the season -Mohammad Ali Park. It was an amazing idol & I could not get enough of it. The theme was of Global Warming. Since it was morning, there was hardly an crowd. On any other Puja day, it would take at least an hour or more of standing in the queue to see this Puja.

Ansh then spent some time in the bouncy castle & other jhulas set up alongside the Puja Pandal.

We proceeded home to a well deserved afternoon rest & in the evening went to see another Para Puja which was not fully set up.
Ansh again rode various jhulas. All the parks around have been converted to mini melas. We met up with our friends Giri & Shruti at the Park & proceeded to have dinner at Humpty Dumpty.



Day-2 Monday-(Saptami)-We proceeded for Pandal hopping in the morning. So 6 adults +1 driver+Ansh got into the car & proceeded to Nimbutala Puja Pandal. The Pandal was based on the Nano theme with the Plant lockout portrayed very well.


We then proceeded to College Square Pandal & then to the Titanic Pandal near the Ganges.



Came back home.Rested the afternoon & were at it again in the evening, this time on foot, to see the Pandals surrounding our house. Of note was the one created with Wooden Dolls & one of the Nine Durgas.
Day-3 (Ashtami)- Spent a lazy day at home & went for Dandiya in the evening to Netaji Indoor Stadium. Ansh had a great time getting introduced to the Dandiya Sticks. He looked great in his Gujrati Jacket & Million Dollar Smile. However, after an hour or so Ansh had had his fill of Dandiya & misic & wanted to return home. So we reluctantly left earlier than we had planned.


Day-4(Navmi)- This was a special day coz it was Abhi's birthday too. The celebrations began on Ashtami night. Since we were out with friends for Dandiya,he was wished by all at 12. After Dandiya we proceeded to have dinner at a place which is open throughput the night & serves great Punjabi food. We got served on the car bonnet. After the hearty meal we came back home & did the cake cutting. Morning was Havan at our house followed by "Kanjakein" where young girls are invited over & there is a feast prepared for them. We had another round of cake cutting. Ansh gave Papa a gift , an Azzaro perfume which is Papa's favourite.
We lazed around in the afternoon & went for Dandiya again at night. This time we left Ansh behind who missed us terribly & cried at home. So we had to return early & play with him before retiring to bed at 3 am.
Day5 (Dashmi)- With the prospect of getting back to work the next day, Dashmi was a lazy day........lol.Another reason for that was that Abhi was busy at work the whole day. There was Tika for the boys in the morning. So Abhi's Buas came over for that. In the evening I took Ansh out to the Mela & let him have his fill of Jhulas. :)

So that's how we spent a great 5 days of Puja

10 comments:

Lijy said...

I hope you and your family had a nice time.

Ansh surly did. And he did enjoy his ice-cream..
;0

Monika said...

great... i love this festive time... starts with ganesh chaturthi and goes on till atleast diwali and more or less till new year now :)

and I love this pandals... wonder how they get so innovative...

4handfulls said...

Amazing photos! I love learning about your culture :)

Monika said...

@lijy- We had a good time lijy :)
@monika-Pandals are amazing. I go not see too many, just a selected few. Wish I cud get myself to seemany more
@cherie- I am so happy that u enjoy :)

Mama - Mia said...

wow!! you guys really celebrated the Puja!! :)

loved all the pictures!!

cheers!

abha

Monika said...

@Abha- yes, it is a BIG festival here & we make the most of it!

Swati said...

Lovely pics. BTW I just read that you came to Bangalore ?? Why did you not tell me :( Could have met :(

Mystic Margarita said...

Oh! What fun! Now I am all nostalgic. We had pujo here last Saturday - was ok but I miss the real thing. Shubho Bijoya to you and your family, too.

Anonymous said...

I am so amazed at Indian festivities! Every time I visit India there's always some huge celebration. It seems to me that there is so much to celebrate over there -- I love it.

Monika said...

@mystic- You shud plan a visit here next year.

@Swati- It was a very busy trip. Next time I'll look u all up :)

@agnes- yes,we do have lots of festivals, especially during this time of the year.