Thursday, March 19, 2009

My first visit to Chennai

I was travelling for the past three days visiting Chennai & Bangalore. While I have visited Bangalore twice before, it was my first visit to Chennai.
The first thing that I noticed about Chennai was how beautiful the women looked with bright coloured sarees & lots of flowers in their hair. The men with their stark whites & tilaks on foreheads looked so traditional. I found the people very soft spoken. My cabbie tried his best to converse in Hindi. With his heavy accent I had to concentrate very hard to understand.
By the time I reached work, it was time for lunch which we enjoyed in a "Karaikudi" restaurant. It was a great meal of Chettinad & Roast chicken, chicken biryani, parathas & curd.Water was served in "Lotas" instead of the regular glasses. I loved the whole traditional flavour of the place.
After a hard day's work, we went to the Marina Beach. It was a long walk from the car park to the water front & I had a tough time in my sandals & work formals.But,it was so pleasant to see how clean a city beach could be. I was expecting something like the Mumbai beaches. I was so pleased to know that I could actually go into the water & soak my feet. We spent a couple of hours there & also enjoyed corn on the cob at the beach.
I also got to spend a day at Bangalore. The city is in full bloom these days & is awash with purples & lilacs. I had lunch at MTR & also managed a 15 minute visit to the "Cauvery" store.
I am back now tired & exhausted but happy at the little experiences I had. :)

19 comments:

Swaram said...

U seem to have had a gr8 time Monika. I used to love the lunch at MTR; the servers were more hospitable before. My in-law's place was just a stone's throw away. And I love the Marina beach too. How I wish I could meet you @ Bangalore. I returned back on Monday :(

Monika said...

@Swaram- Oh, I did have a good time. My colleagues are really sweet. So wish I could have met u. Maybe next time :)

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Aaah my beautiful Bangalore...

Glad you had such a great time!!

D said...

Shopping, shopping, shopping?
You didn't buy any silks?

Monika said...

@M4-:) It was lovely. The trees had practically no leaves. Only flowers

Monika said...

@D- Oh I wish I had the time. :( Just picked up some sandalwood stuff from Bangalore.

Swaram said...

Silks yeah! Mysore silk is famous there and the Kanjeevaram variety in Chennai. All our wedding sarees are either of the two.

Monika said...

@Swaram- I have a problem in carrying a silk saree. I find it much easier to handle chiffons, georgettes & crepes. But I do have a couple of gorgeous silks which I love!!

Swaram said...

I agree. BTW, you really carry yourself so well in a saree. The pics u posted were really good.

Oops! This has almost become a blog-chat. :P

Mama - Mia said...

you came to bangalore and didnt get in touch?? hrrmmmppppff!!

Monika said...

@Swaram- Aww..thanks :)

@Abha- It was hectic Abha.I missed meeting you. :(

~nm said...

as everyone said, 3 days and 2 cities is quite hectic. But glad you still managed to have some good time :)

Monika said...

@nm- Yes, it was hectic. I am still tired after 2 days of returning back.

Swati said...

I am not talking to you anymore ..you were here and you did not even spoke to me once, leave alone meeting.. :(

Monika said...

@Swati-Aw, I am so sorry. Will do next time. Promise!

D said...

Criminal, Monika! You need to go back and buy some beautiful handwoven silks.

Monika said...

@D- :( My bad luck. But more than Silks, I am craving a Chikan saree. I do not own even one & just love them!! Wish the Company had a plant in Lucknow.

Mystic Margarita said...

Glad you enjoyed despite the hectic trip. :)

Monika said...

@Mystic- I "decided" to mke sure I enjoy :)